Skip to main navigation.
Twitter Icon Image Facebook Icon Image Pinterest Icon Image YouTube Icon Image

Eligibility Requirements

Are you eligible for North Dakota Energy Share?


  • You must be eligible for Fuel Assistance for the current program year.
  • Your home must be heated non-electrically. All homes using electric heat will be referred to the nearest County Social Services Office for assistance.
  • If you are renting and/or receiving housing assistance, you are eligible for Energy Share when utilities are not included in your rent.
  • If you live on a reservation and are receiving a utility allowance, you may not be eligible for Energy Share.
  • You may be required to have a disconnect or shut off notice from a utility company.
  • Bills may be from a previous or current address, but must be no more than three (3) months old.
  • You may be referred to the Energy Conservation Program.
  • You may be referred to the Self -Reliance and Budget Counseling Programs
  • You may be required to provide a co-payment. Each time Energy Share is requested, an increase in this co-payment may occur.
  • Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in ineligibility of future assistance requests.

Assistance Available

Energy Share may pay for:

  • Service Charges
  • Reconnection Fees
  • Security Lights

Energy Share may not pay for:

  • Late Charges
  • Penalty Charges
  • Deposits
  • Estimated Readings
  • Trip Charges

Local Community Action Agencies

The Community Action Agencies of North Dakota offer many programs which assist low income, elderly, and handicapped individuals in a variety of ways. Each agency provides assistance through Energy Conservation, HOME, Self Reliance, Energy Share, and many other programs. Please contact your local Community Action Agency for information on programs available. We also encourage you to help others! Contact your Community Action Agency to find out how you may help get involved through volunteer work and other community efforts.

  • Southeastern North Dakota Community Action Agency
    P.O. Box 507
    Jamestown, ND 58402-0507
    (701) 252-1821
  • Southeastern North Dakota Community Action Agency
    511 ½ Street North
    Wahpeton, ND 58074-0186
    701-642-3497 1-800-726-8179
  • Southeastern North Dakota Community Action Agency
    3233 University Drive South
    Fargo, ND 58104

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Cooperative Action Network Youth Tour